Completing a returning application
Find out how to re-apply for your Student Loan and Student Allowance if it's less than a year since you last applied.
Apply as early as you can to help get your correct payments on time. You can also find out how to apply for Job Seeker Support Student Hardship or other financial assistance in the 'Re-apply' section below.
- Make sure you know your RealMe login that you used when you applied online before.
You’ve forgotten your RealMe username and/or password
- You need your course details handy, eg:
- course start and end dates (you can estimate the dates and update this detail in MyStudyLink after you submit your application)
- education provider or campus.
- You need to know whether you meet the passing requirements to be able to get a Student Allowance or Loan again.
Passing requirements for a Student Allowance
Passing requirements for a Student Loan
- You need to let us know if you have an overdue Student Loan repayment obligation.
Applying for Student Loan and Student Allowance only
- Select ‘Returning application’ and what you’re applying for.
- Your application will be pre-filled with most of the information you provided last time. If something's changed update it here. Then you can tick the ‘confirmed’ box for each section.
- For the Student Loan application, make sure your alternative contact person is still the same and update if you need to.
Applying for Student Loan and Student Allowance and other help (eg, Jobseeker Support Student Hardship, Disability Allowance)
- You'll need to select 'Apply for Financial Assistance' in MyStudyLink and make a full application.
How to complete a new application in MyStudyLink
Once you submit your application
- You'll get a confirmation page.
- Allow up to 24 hours for us to process it and then you can check your application status in MyStudyLink.
In most cases you won't need to send us any documents we've already seen. If you need to provide anything else, eg, evidence of income, we'll let you know. Anything you send us must be a verified copy, not an original.
We can't approve your application or make any payments until we've seen your supporting documents. You need to send these to us:
- as soon as possible so you can get your payments on time
- by the end of the course you're applying for, or your application will be declined.
- your application status (allow up to 24 hours)
- if you need to provide any supporting documents
- if we’ve received documents you’ve sent us
- your letters from us
- how much you’ll get
- when your payments start.
- contact details
- bank account
- course details, eg education provider, dates, student ID number.
Student Loan application
You’ll need to sign a Student Loan contract as part of your application.
Once your loan is approved and the first payment has been made, your loan details will be transferred to Inland Revenue.
If you decide not to go into study or don’t get accepted
To cancel your application: