If your car needs to be fixed, we may be able to help.
You'll have to pay the money back.
You may get help if you:
- are 16 or over (if you're 16-18 and have a Youth Service provider, contact Youth Services)
- are a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- normally live in New Zealand and intend to stay here
- have an immediate or essential need
- need the car for you, your partner or children
- need the car because of either:
- a health condition
- lack of access to public transport
- or your partner own the car.
It also depends on:
- how much you and your partner earn
any money or assets you and your partner have.
Your income will be assessed either weekly or yearly, depending on the kind of help you qualify for. These income and asset limits usually apply:
|If you are:||Weekly income before tax is less than|
|Single, 16-17 years||$737.86|
|Single, 18+ years||$848|
|Couple (with or without children)||$1,231.72|
|Sole parent (1 child)||$1,029.02|
|Sole parent (2+ children)||$1,084.13|
These don't include what you need for day-to-day living, eg your home or your car. They do include money in the bank, or things like a caravan or a second property.
|If you are:||Your assets are worth less than|
|married, civil union or de facto couple (with or without children) or sole parent||$1,988.20|
Generally we can pay up to $400 to help with some car repairs.
We don't usually pay for
Standard car costs, eg:
- warrant of fitness
- car insurance
- car registration
- regular servicing costs.
Call us to make an appointment to come in and see us. We'll tell you what to bring.