Power, gas, water or heating bills
If you're on a low income and have no other way to pay, we may be able to help you with an urgent power, gas or water bill, or the costs for heating.
You may have to pay the money back depending on your situation.
You could find yourself in a situation where you have an outstanding power, gas or water bill that you can't pay. You need to talk to the power or water company first to see if you can make a payment arrangement with them.
If this is not possible, we may be able to help if you:
- are 16 or over (if you're 16-18 and have a Youth Service provider, contact Youth Services)
- are a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- normally live in New Zealand and intend to stay here
- have an immediate and essential need.
It also depends on:
- how much you and your partner earn
- any money or assets you and your partner have.
Your income will be assessed either weekly or yearly, depending on the kind of help you qualify for. These income and asset limits usually apply:
|If you are:||Weekly income before tax is less than|
|Single, 16-17 years||$783.91|
|Single, 18+ years||$900.93|
|Couple (with or without children)||$1,308.60|
|Sole parent (1 child)||$1,093.25|
|Sole parent (2+ children)||$1,151.80|
These don't include what you need for day-to-day living, eg your home or your car. They do include money in the bank, or things like a caravan or a second property.
|If you are:||Your assets are worth less than|
|married, civil union or de facto couple (with or without children) or sole parent||$2,131.73|
Generally, we can pay up to $200 to help with:
- an outstanding power, gas or water bill
- reconnecting your electricity, gas or water supply.
Help to keep your family warm
We may be able to help you with the cost of bedding, blankets, curtains or heaters, depending on your circumstances. It may be that:
- your children are unwell
- you can’t keep warm in your home
- there is wear and tear to your bedding because of long-term sickness or disability in the family
- a new child has come into the family.
Call us and we'll book you an appointment to come in and see us as soon as possible and we'll tell you what else you need to bring.