If your relationship status changes, you must tell us straight away as it could affect how much you're paid.
How to tell us
You need to tell us:
- what's changed
- when things changed.
We’ll work out if the change affects what you get from us.
Getting a Student Allowance
If you now have a partner and we consider you to be in a recognised relationship you may now either:
- be able to get a Student Allowance, or
- your Student Allowance payment could be affected.
If you're in a recognised relationship, you'll need to:
- apply online (if you haven't already applied) if you're now able to get a Student Allowance
- get your partner to fill out a Student Allowance Partner's form
- get your partner to provide a verified copy of their birth certificate (if we haven't already seen it)
- log in to Connect and upload your form and verified birth certificate.
Getting other payments
If you're getting any other payment (eg, Disability Allowance, childcare or Income Relief Payment) and you start a new relationship you'll need to fill in a change of circumstances form.