If your relationship status changes, you must tell us straight away as it could affect how much you're paid.
How to tell us
You need to tell us:
- what's changed
- when things changed.
We’ll work out if the change affects what you get from us.
Getting a Student Allowance
If you now have a partner and we consider you to be in a recognised relationship you may now either:
- be able to get a Student Allowance, or
- your Student Allowance payment could be affected.
If you're in a recognised relationship, you'll need to:
- apply online (if you haven't already applied) if you're now able to get a Student Allowance
- get your partner to fill out a Student Allowance Partner's form
- get your partner to provide a verified copy of their birth certificate (if we haven't already seen it)
- log in to Connect and upload your form and verified birth certificate.
Getting other payments
If you're getting any other payment (eg, Disability Allowance, childcare) and you start a new relationship you'll need to fill in a change of circumstances form.