No relationship with parents
If you don't have any parents, or you don't have a relationship with your parents, your Student Allowance may not depend on any parental income.
Your Student Allowance won't depend on any parental income if:
- you can’t live with or be supported by your parents because of a family breakdown
- you’re an orphan and don't live with someone acting as a parent
- your caregiver or legal guardian is or was paid a Foster Care Allowance, Orphan’s Benefit or Unsupported Child’s Benefit for you
- you’re living, or have lived, with a caregiver or legal guardian under a Transition Support Living Arrangement through Oranga Tamariki
- one of your parents is in prison or a psychiatric hospital and the other parent can’t support you.
No financial support
Your Student Allowance will depend on your parent's income if you have a relationship with them, even if they don't give you any financial support.
What you need to do
Apply online for a Student Allowance (if you haven’t already).
You will be provided with an Independent Circumstances Allowance application form to download at the end of Apply Online.
Alternatively, you can download the form.
- Fill out the Independent Circumstances Allowance application form.
- Get someone who knows about your situation and you've known for at least a year (eg a doctor, counsellor, church minister) to complete the supporting statement in the form.
- Get evidence of your situation (the application form will tell you what to provide).
- Log in to Connect and upload your form and evidence.