Help with managing your money
01 August 2023.
This month is Money Month, and this year’s theme is ‘maximising your money’. Here are some free services to help you manage your money.
Money Month is organised by Te Ara Ahunga Ora – the Retirement Commission. Their website Live sorted has useful tips on how to maximise your money.
MoneyTalks - free helpline
MoneyTalks is New Zealand’s free financial helpline. They can help you with any money problem, such as:
- paying your bills
- managing your debts
- if you're being pressured by someone about a financial decision (you can get advice straight away!).
You can also get advice on how to help a friend or family/whānau member.
How to contact MoneyTalks
You can get this free, confidential advice by:
- calling 0800 345 123
- texting 4029
- emailing email@example.com
- using live chat on the MoneyTalks website.
MoneyTalks' helpline is available from:
- Monday to Friday 8am – 8pm
- Saturday from 9am – 4pm, and
- Sunday 10am – 2pm.
Find financial help in your area
Building Financial Capability services are free and available throughout New Zealand.
- Financial mentors – professional budgeting advice
- MoneyMates – support groups to talk with and learn from others, and
- Financial services – help to get and manage loans.
Find out more about these services on the Work and Income page Managing your money.
To find a service in your area, check the Family Services Directory website.
More help managing your money
Budgeting gives you control of your money – and your life. The Work and Income page Managing your money:
- explains what budgeting is about and how it can help you, and
- has some useful budgeting ideas, and budget plans.