Unpaid practical work or full-time research or field work
If you're doing unpaid practical work or full-time research or field work, we may be able to extend your Student Loan and Student Allowance application.
Who can get it
We may be able to extend your Student Loan and Student Allowance application if:
- your application was approved for less than 52 weeks
- extending your study would not make it be approved for longer than 52 weeks
- you're studying full-time with your extension
- you're doing either:
- unpaid practical work that's approved by the Tertiary Education Commission as part of your course (teaching courses generally don't qualify)
- full-time research or fieldwork as part of your course.
If you're doing full-time research or fieldwork as part of your course, and your extension takes you over 52 weeks, we may still be able to help. Email us to tell us about your situation.
What you need to do
You need to talk to your education provider.
They'll confirm your new study end date with us.